Backyard Baseball 2005 is a sports video game developed by Humungous Entertainment. It was the first 3D Backyard Sports title and sixth installment of the Backyard Baseball series. It was made for PlayStation 2, PC, and GameCube.
As this is the first 3D Backyard Baseball game, there are several gameplay changes. Leading off and picking off are now allowed. Players can now get power-ups for pitching hitless innings and making diving catches. The Custom Player option is also expanded upon in this game. Custom players can earn additional skill points by earning skill certificates, which are obtained by accomplishing certain tasks (such as hitting three home runs in one game). It is now possible to create more than one custom player for a team.
- Nomar Garciaparra
- Pedro Martinez
- Alex Rodriguez
- Derek Jeter
- Carlos Delgado
- Alfonso Soriano
- Ichiro Suzuki
- Mike Piazza
- Jim Thome
- Dontrelle Willis
- Sammy Sosa
- Greg Maddux
- Albert Pujols
- Randy Johnson
- Shawn Green
- Eric Gagne
- Barry Bonds (GameCube only)
The intro video features several backyard kids playing a baseball game. Angela Delvecchio accidentally throws a wild pitch, which is hit by Pete Wheeler while he was in the On-Deck circle. Several accidents by the opposing team lead to Pete scoring an in-the-park home run. Pete ran so fast however, he ran through the fence.
- Except for Pablo Sanchez, all the MLB pros and Backyard Kids have new theme songs. However, Vicki Kawaguchi's walk-up music is the tail end of her old theme song, and the Satellite Orchards Drive-In field uses Angela Delvecchio's old theme for its intro music.
- The themes in the GameCube version were the old themes, as of that moment, the only kid who changed her voice was Annie.
- The Quantum Field space theme was remade in Backyard Baseball 2007 as Area 51.
- Once again, Mr. Clanky appears as an unlockable player. However in this game he can be drafted in a season and he has his own music.
- Barry Bonds only appeared in the GameCube version of the game.
- Alex Rodriguez appears on the cover, however he wears his Rangers uniform in the GameCube version, and his Yankees uniform in the PC version.
- Mike Piazza wears his hat frontwards in this game, when he wore it backwards in the 2D games.
- This game does not show a nickname for the players, but the nickname relevance was continued in Backyard Baseball 2007.
- The players' descriptions were taken from Backyard Baseball 2001 & 2003.
- Both Mike Piazza and Randy Johnson state they have been allowed to be the drummer in the Khan brothers' band.
- Maria Luna's new theme is similar to "Smooth" by Santana.
- Greg Maddux's theme is similar to "Another Brick In the Wall (Part 2)" by Pink Floyd. It is also somewhat similar to "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.
- Randy Johnson mentions the true fact that he is a big fan of the prog rock band Rush.
- Achmed Khan says his signature pitch is the 'Zig-Zag', however that specific pitch is not featured in the game.
- Nomar Garciaparra mentions the true fact that his name is Nomar, and his name is his father's name, Ramon, backwards.
- Greg Maddux mentions the true fact that he was born in Texas.
- Sammy Sosa mentions the true fact that his favorite player is Roberto Clemente.
- Jim Thome mentions the true fact that his middle name is Howard.
- The music themes from Baseball 2005 were continued to be used in the following Backyard Sports games.
- The art style of Baseball 2005 was also used in Backyard Hockey and Backyard Football 2006.
- Alfonso Soriano doesn't appear in the GameCube version of the game.